The Counseling & Mental Health Center (CMHC) is staffed by social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, and licensed professional counselors. Direct services provided by interns include individual counseling, group interventions, crisis counseling, and prevention and outreach activities. The training activities consist of weekly individual and group supervision, membership on clinical teams, weekly seminars, and preceptorships/apprenticeships.
Unique Aspects of the placement
- August Orientation and Training. A training and orientation program, which runs from August 1 - August 31 is planned for our social work and psychology interns before the Fall Semester begins. The program is 40 hours per week for the month of August. A variety of presentations, experiential workshops, and other activities are scheduled to help interns prepare for their roles and responsibilities. In addition to the intensive training activities, informal social events are planned so that interns can build group cohesiveness and meet CMHC staff members.
- Training Hours. When classes begin for the Fall semester, Social Work interns begin their 20 hour per week placement for the Fall semester. The 40 hour per week Spring semester block placement begins in January.
- Stipend. A small stipend is provided during the orientation training period.
The CMHC staff is strongly committed to addressing the needs of a diverse student population, and our training programs strive to incorporate and highlight issues of difference as a fundamental part of the training experience.
In 1991, CMHC was one of the first university counseling centers to adopt a Statement on Diversity, as we believed that it was important to make a public statement about our values, commitments, and responsibilities in this area. In 2007, this statement was reviewed and revised by our staff in order to reflect the evolution of knowledge that has occurred over the years as well as our staff's ongoing reflection, discussion, and appreciation of these issues.
Statement on Diversity
The CMHC Social Work internship program is open only to students who are enrolled in the Masters program at the UT School of Social Work. The application deadline for the 2018-2019 training year is Friday, March 15, 2019 at 5pm.
A complete application must include the following 3 components:
- Resume: Please include your current placement and work history.
- Reference forms: Two reference forms are required: One from your field instructor and one from your Social Work Practice II faculty professor. The online forms are provided below:
- Essay question: Create a Word document (can be single-spaced) and answer the following questions in 3 pages or less.
- How did you decide to enter the field of Social Work?
- What are your clinical and personal strengths and growth areas? Please be specific in discussing these aspects of yourself. They will be a component of your training goals as an intern.
- Why have you chosen to apply to the UT Counseling Center as an internship site, and what is your interest in this population?
- Please share one or more experiences related to diversity that has shaped your understanding of privileged and marginalized identities.
Field Instructor Reference Form
SW Practice II Faculty Reference Form
All 3 components above should be submitted to:
Alicia Garces, LCSW, BCD
100 West Dean Keeton St.
Austin, Texas 78712-1099
For More Information
If you have any questions about our internship program or the application process, please feel free to contact the Social Work internship training director, Alicia Garces, at (512)475-6919 or via e-mail at:
- Information meeting with CMHC social work staff and interns during February.
- Application materials submitted for review in March.
- Interviews are conducted in March and final selections are made in April in time for Summer and Fall registration for the following academic year.