Skip to content
The University of Texas at Austin - What Starts Here Changes The World The University of Texas at Austin Division of Student Affairs

ADHD Resources at U.T. Austin

CMHC Business Hours:
Monday thru Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm

Phone: (512) 471-3515 - Student Services Building 5th Floor
graphic element used to separate content
The condition called Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is characterized by a number of symptoms, such as impaired concentration, poor attention, restlessness, fidgeting, and impulsive behavior. These symptoms could be the result of a variety of factors or disorders. Therefore, it's really important to have a thorough evaluation from a trained professional in order to find out what might be causing your symptoms and how best to address them.

What is a "thorough evaluation"?

A thorough evaluation for ADHD will include several steps and may take several hours. Usually, it involves completing psychological tests, filling out some questionnaires, and participating in a comprehensive interview process to get a history of relevant areas in your life and to learn more about your symptoms. In some cases, other people who know you well may be asked for input so that an accurate conclusion may be drawn.

Should I get this evaluation?

Good question! If you have a doctor or a therapist who knows you well, you may want to ask that person if they believe an assessment is in order. If you are uncertain, you can consult with Disability and Access (D&A). To check on their current operating hours and information about how to schedule an appointment, click here.

What is the cost of an evaluation?

A comprehensive evaluation can cost several hundred dollars, though there are professionals in the Austin area who may be able to offer a somewhat reduced rate or help you with a payment plan.

Whom can I contact about getting an evaluation?

If you know you would like to have a comprehensive evaluation, contact the Disability and Access (D&A) office for information about some of the professionals who conduct these evaluations. The SSD office is located on the 4th floor of the Student Services Building; its phone number is 512-471-6259.

Do I need an evaluation in order to receive medical treatment from a UHS or Counseling and Mental Health Center physician for ADHD?

The physicians at University Health Services (UHS) do not provide medications for ADHD. These medications may be prescribed by the psychiatric staff at the Counseling and Mental Health Center (CMHC); however, specific documentation is needed. The required documentation includes:
  1. complete documentation of a formal assessment with objective psychological testing for ADD/ADHD within the last three years and
  2. past records from any doctors who have prescribed this medication for you in the past.

What if I am already on medication and want to transfer my care to a psychiatrist at CMHC?

You may be able to transfer your care to the Counseling and Mental Health Center (CMHC), but you will need to provide the CMHC psychiatrist with the specific documentation mentioned above. Contact CMHC at 512-471-3515 for more information.

What about accommodations?

The Disability and Access (D&A) office assists students who qualify by providing appropriate accommodations. A comprehensive assessment completed within the last three years is required in order to be considered for these services.
Documentation that meets SSD documentation guidelines

What else can I do to help myself?

There are many useful steps you can take to address the symptoms you think might be related to ADHD. One resource is the Sanger Learning Center on campus. The staff there works with students to build reading skills, address test-taking problems, develop better study skills/habits, and also provide tutoring services. Many students with ADHD also experience anxiety, depression, or just general life stress as they cope with the challenges they face. The Counseling and Mental Health Center has counselors available to talk with you about these and other concerns that you might have. The Disability and Access (D&A) office also offers skills building workshops for students who have been diagnosed with ADHD.

ADHD Resources on The University of Texas at Austin Campus

The University of Texas at Austin recognizes that some students with ADHD face a range of challenges that affect their progress toward their academic and personal goals. The UT agencies listed below offer a wide range of services that address these needs.

Sanger Learning Center

The Sanger Learning Center (SLC) is the primary resource on campus for questions related to the learning process. SLC's professional Learning Specialists offer free, private appointments on a variety of topics, including studying with ADHD/learning disabilities. For students who prefer semester-long support, SLC’s Peer Academic Coaches offer weekly 1-on-1 appointments to discuss topics such as time management, planning, study strategies, concentration, and test-taking.

The SLC's main office is on the third floor of Jester in JES A332A. For additional information, call 512-471-3614 or check out the full range of SLC learning support.

Disability and Access (D&A)

Mission: Based on the philosophy that all students should be assured equal access and opportunity, Disability and Access (D&A) works to eliminate physical, instructional, and attitudinal barriers by providing reasonable accommodations and fostering awareness within the University community.
SSD offers the following services:
  • Review documentation to determine eligibility for accommodations
  • Meet individually with students to create accommodation plans based on documentation and specific to the students' needs
  • Consult and educate faculty and staff regarding accommodations and working with students with ADHD and Learning Disorders
  • Workshops addressing stress management, time management, and academic skills,
  • Walk-in services Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
  • Programming to reduce barriers on campus
  • Referrals to both on- and off-campus resources and providers
Location and Contact Information:
Our office is located in the Student Services Building (SSB) 4.206 and is open Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. You can contact us with questions or to schedule an appointment at 512-471-6259 or by Video Phone 866-329-3986.

Counseling and Mental Health Center (CMHC)

Students who are experiencing difficulties with attention, concentration, and/or other aspects of ADHD may also experience anxiety, stress, low self-esteem, self-criticism, lack of self-confidence, and other challenges. CMHC helps students with these and other personal concerns so they can meet the daily challenges of student life.

CMHC offers a number of services that may be helpful to students with ADHD, including individual and group counseling, psychiatric services, the MindBody Lab for stress management (walk-in service; no appointment necessary), and mindfulness-based stress reduction classes.

Where can I find help?

UT's Counseling & Mental Health Center (CMHC)
Call 512-471-3515 for information on setting up an appointment with a counselor.
CMHC also offers the CMHC Crisis Line: 512-471-CALL for a telephone counselor.

cmhc logo
facebook twitter instagram tumblr