Skip to content
The University of Texas at Austin - What Starts Here Changes The World The University of Texas at Austin Division of Student Affairs

Questions and Answers

How do I access CMHC services through telehealth?

View instructions here.

Where are you located?

CMHC is located on the 5th floor of the Student Services Building.

How do you make an appointment?

Access to clinical services begins with a brief assessment and referral. To begin this process, call the CMHC at 512-471-3515, option #3, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Can I request a particular counselor based on gender identity, cultural identity/background, sexual identity, specialty area, etc.?

CMHC staff members will do their best to accommodate your request. Please mention this request during your initial brief assessment.

Diversity Statement

Are services available in any languages other than English?

The counseling services provided by My SSP (My Student Support Program) are available in multiple languages (English, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese and French on demand 24/7). Other languages are available by appointment based on availability.

Please call 512-471-3515, Monday-Friday from 8 a.m-5 p.m. to speak with a CMHC staff member to discuss additional counseling options in languages other than English.

How long is each appointment?

Counseling appointments are generally 45 minutes. The total time required for the initial consultation or intake appointment is approximately 90 minutes, so be sure to keep this in mind when scheduling your appointment.

Psychiatric appointments are usually one hour for the first appointment (more time might be needed if additional paperwork is required) and 30 minutes for follow-up appointments.

Do you provide after-hours emergency mental health services?

Yes. If a problem arises after business hours, call the 24/7 CMHC Crisis Line at 512-471-2255. Counselors are available to speak with you about your concerns 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

In the case of a life-threatening emergency, please call 911 immediately.

Also, see additional crisis resources at

What if I'm concerned about another person's behavior?

Call the Behavior Concerns and COVID-19 Advice Line (BCCAL) at 512-232-5050 if you are concerned about the behavior of a UT student, faculty, or staff member. Trained staff will assist you in exploring available strategies and will also provide appropriate guidance and resource referrals.

Do many students use CMHC?

Yes. In fact, it is common for students to speak with a counselor. Being in college or graduate school entails many changes and challenges: leaving home, choosing a major, negotiating intimate relationships, and moving on when graduation approaches. It is natural for people to want to talk with someone about these complex developmental issues. The CMHC staff is trained to counsel students on a broad range of concerns.

What if I can't make a scheduled appointment?

Call the CMHC at 512-471-3515 as soon as possible after you become aware that you cannot come to your appointment. You can leave a message on the voicemail if you are calling outside of business hours. Please try to call at least 24 hours before your scheduled meeting. There is a $25 fee for appointments that are not cancelled by noon the day before the appointment.

Will my privacy be protected?

CMHC takes student privacy and confidentiality very seriously. Our records are separate from your academic records and cannot be released without your permission. See our confidentiality policy for more detailed information.

Confidentiality and Notice of Privacy Practices

What can I expect during my first appointment at CMHC?

Getting Started

What resources are available for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)?

ADHD Resources

What if I am not happy with the counselor I am assigned, or with my experience at CMHC?

It is possible to change counselors if you do not feel you are well-matched. If you have difficulties with any aspect of your service at CMHC, call 512-471-3515. You can also submit an electronic feedback form.

CMHC Online Feedback Form

I am doing a class project and need to interview someone at CMHC. How can I do this?

Please contact Laura Kinch at

Does CMHC or UHS provide letters of support for Emotional Support Animals?

The Counseling and Mental Health Center and University Health Services do not make recommendations or offer letters of support for Emotional Support Animals (ESAs).

cmhc logo
facebook twitter instagram tumblr